A cooling weighted blanket offers lots of great benefits, though the heaviness of a thick cover can be difficult for hot sleepers to enjoy a good sleep.
The ability of a weighted blanket to provide cooling is essential, especially during the warmer seasons.
Fortunately, many heavy blankets are made of cool, breathable materials and innovative technology to create a comfortable sleeping experience.
Factors That Create a Cooling Weighted Blanket
What factors contribute to creating a weighted cooling blanket? Lighter weight options, the cover, filing materials, and design impact how well your weighted blanket will keep you cool and relaxed during the night.
Material and Weight Options
A weighted blanket has two main parts: the filling, which provides most of the weight, and the cover or shell.
A cooler blanket will contain a lightweight filling, such as glass beads or plastic pellets, and a natural 100% cotton or breathable, organic cotton or bamboo fabric that allows for adequate airflow.
Other cooling blanket materials include fibers naturally derived from wood cellulose, such as rayon or lyocell, similar to bamboo.
Soft, lightweight fabrics are ideal for comfortable weighted blankets, which are significantly cooler than wool, and fleece in heavy, warm blankets, which are best suited for cooler temperatures.
Breathable cotton may be a good option for moderate temperatures, though unless blended with a lighter material; it will not provide the same level of cooling.
Heavy blankets are available in various sizes and added weight options, though it’s the type of filling materials that determine how well you’ll stay cool and comfortable throughout the night.
The best cooling weighted blankets often contain micro glass beads or plastic pellets.
Small glass beads are eco-friendly and tend to provide even weight distribution, which provides a smooth, comfortable sleeping experience.
Maintenance and Care
Many weighted blankets are easy to care for, with removable covers that can be washed in a machine, with a regular load of laundry, or easily hand-washed and dried.
The Best Comfort Weighted Blankets for Hot Sleepers
Which cooling weighted blankets are the best options? It’s important to choose a heavy blanket that offers the benefits of added weight and light, breathable fabrics to promote airflow and excellent comfort.
The Best Cotton Weighted Blanket
The Gravity weighted blanket is a high-quality, premium blanket that’s naturally lightweight and made with cotton. It’s an adult-sized blanket that’s available in a variety of different colors for a twin or single-sized bed. This duvet blanket offers excellent features, including:
- 15, 20, and 35 lb. weight options are available in the Gravity blanket
- The blanket cover is made of microfiber cotton that’s removable and machine-washable
- It’s soft and offers a fleece outer shell with 100% cotton on the interior and fine, quality glass beads for even distribution
- Various sizes are available based on the size of your bed, and a throw blanket option is excellent for a sofa or chair
- It’s durable and easy to care for, and the variety of color options allows you to customize your bedding appearance with exceptional comfort
The Best Value Breathable, Weighted Blanket
Casper weighted blankets are breathable, durable, and affordable. This weighted comforter is ideal for a hot sleeper, which offers a cozy sensation that’s calming while remaining cool enough with a breathable, lightweight design:
- The outer fabric is made of 100% cotton, with an interior lining of 100% polyester
- The filling is lightweight, with polyester batting and glass pellets
- There are several weight options, which include 10, 15, and 20 lbs, so you can choose the right fit for your comfort level
- A quilted fabric provides an even distribution of interior pellets and batting, ideal for a night of soothing sleep
- This product offers a 100-night trial, which is ideal if you invest in a heavy blanket for the first time
The Best Bamboo Weighted Blanket
The Aricove cooling weighted blanket is made of a silky and soft bamboo fabric, which offers a cushion-like sensation during sleep.
Aricove offers reasonably-priced weighted blankets that offer a luxury experience with many weight options, and it’s easy to wash and maintain. There are other features worth considering when you consider this silky, relaxing duvet:
- This is a great inner blanket to provide extra warmth during cold weather or as a lightweight option (10 lbs) on its own during the warmer months
- There are twin and full-size options for adults
- The bamboo weave is breathable and comfortable, providing a refreshing experience for athletes or individuals needing a cooling sensation, as the blanket maintains a consistent temperature
- All materials are non-toxic and free of harmful fabrics or substances, which is ideal for people with allergies or who are sensitive to certain materials
- This bamboo weighted blanket is ready to use immediately, and it is pre-washed and packaged in natural materials without plastic
- There is a duffle bag included, which makes this weighted blanket ideal for travel
Best Premium Weighted Blanket
The Luna weighted blanket offers luxury quality with multiple layers of bamboo that are quilted and designed to provide excellent comfort and a night of peaceful sleep. This soft heavy duvet offers several great benefits:
- The fine glass bead filling is evenly distributed, which provides adequate support for your body and promotes restful sleep
- Luna is a well-established brand with excellent blanket reviews and ratings from customers and innovative technology that’s backed by research
- It’s machine washable in cold water and dried on a gentle cycle, on low heat, or by hand
- There are three main weight options available, which include 10, 15, 20, and 25 lbs., and a helpful sizing chart can help you find the right weight and size for your needs
- Luna’s weighted blankets are available in twin, full, queen, and king-sized beds
Best Textured Weighted Blanket
The Brooklinen textured heavy blanket offers the best of cozy, quilted, and textured cotton with breathable, cooling fabric. It’s an eco-friendly blanket that contains micro-sized glass beads, and it’s easy to maintain.
- It’s easy to spot and clean with warm water and detergent
- There is a money-back guarantee, which lasts for up to one year from your purchase
- All materials are environmental, without toxic substances
- These textured blankets are available in several colors, which makes it easier to coordinate with bedding and decor
The Best Large Weighted Blanket
Baloo weighted blankets offer a larger size and a removable linen cover, which is versatile for queen and king-sized beds. There are several advantages that this soft, weighted cover provides:
- It’s a comfortable fit with up to 25 lbs of weight, with cooling, breathable cotton
- The quilted duvet cover is made of natural fabrics, without any synthetic materials, so you can enjoy a calm, peaceful sleep and evenly distributed weight
- It’s machine-washable in cold water and safe in your dryer on the gentle cycle, which makes it an easy blanket to maintain and clean
- This weighted blanket is filled with micro glass beads, which are eco-friendly and durable
- The neutral color options for these blankets are ideal for a wide range of bedroom decor and bedding
Additional Cooling Weighted Blanket Options for Quality Sleep
Several great cooling weighted blanket options are available, as more brands offer breathable, sustainable materials and fibers that maintain a consistent temperature.
These include the Bearable tree napper (Bearable cotton napper), Mela weighted blanket, Mosaic weighted blanket, and the Layla weighted blanket.
Cooling blankets offer innovative designs that distribute the filling and fibers evenly to avoid clumping or heated areas so that you can enjoy consistent comfort throughout your sleep.
How to Choose the Best Cooling Weighted Blanket
When you select a weighted blanket with cooling features, it’s essential to consider the following characteristics:
- Quilted designs ensure that the filling, usually micro glass beads or plastic pellets, is evenly spread and contained throughout the blanket
- Cooling fibers, such as bamboo, cotton, linen, and similar natural materials, are ideal, as they breathe and allow adequate airflow through the weighted blanket, even if it’s heavier, to prevent overheating
- Ideally, a weighted blanket should be ten percent of your body weight, though you can choose a slightly lighter option if preferred
- If you want a blanket that’s easy to maintain, many options offer machine-washable covers that are removable and easy to clean. Various colors and textures also best fit your home’s decor and preferences
- Most weighted blankets are available in various sizes, with the standard size 48 x 72 inches, which is ideal for most bed sizes
You’ll also want to consider the type of mattress, bedding, pillows, and blankets you currently use and whether a weighted blanket will replace some of your current bedding or become an added option to improve your sleep.
Many cooling blankets are available in various designs and colors so that you can easily coordinate with your bedroom’s decor and accessories.
Weighted blankets are an excellent investment for improving sleep and offer great features, including soothing fabrics, environmentally-friendly materials, and filling for cooling effects and a good night’s rest.
The soothing effects of a weighted cooling blanket can be enhanced with the relaxing sounds of a campfire, or gentle waterfalls, to ease you into a restful sleep.
The combination of relaxing background music or sounds, aromatherapy, and the perfect weighted blanket can provide the ideal environment for a peaceful sleep.